Monday, June 22, 2009

Optometrist

Well, we're old. Scott and me. We found out this week at the optometrist.
Not to be "gotten" by the insurance company, I made us all appointments with the eye doctor (and dentist) before my old insurance ran out. There, we learned that both of us have astigmatisms and needed new glasses. They make contacts for this, but that involved an additional appointment only partially covered by insurance. I made an executive decision- contacts could wait for the FSA with the new insurance plan in a couple months. It didn't matter, though, because as soon as Scott saw (with the new lens) what he hadn't been able to see (because of the contacts) he only wanted glasses. He'd forgotten that trees have leaves and not just branches with blobby greens surrounding them.
Our appointments were back to back- so the kids accompanied us to the eye doctor. Walking in, Will asks which door we're going to. Scott says to Will, "The one that says Optometrist. Where is the word Optometrist?" Will points it out and we head in.
I don't mind the eye doctor. It's kind of fun- trying on all the frames while you wait and all. (Now, I won't blog about the dentist visit. Hate those visits.) And, this eye doctor is great- very personable, a Christian, and friendly. He loved the story of how I shared my "used glasses" with Scott in high school...
Anyways, while we were there, the doctor recommended that the kids start an every other year rotation to get their vision checked out once they turn four- and seeing as both Scott and I are near-sighted, Will and Em "don't stand a chance" (the eye doctor's words, not mine). Eventually, they'll probably need glasses. And, due to the great insurance plan I was taking advantage of, I scheduled the kids an appointment for the next week.
So, this week, I hauled the kids across the street and into their appointment. We pull up , and Will points to the sign he remembers from last week and says, "Optometrist- that must be Spanish for eye doctor."

Will and Em do not need glasses. Yet. But, Spanish lessons may be in Will's future.


Handsome Scott with new glasses and Sushi in his mouth







Handsome Scott with new glasses and Will and Em on Father's Day

No comments: